A great way to get all your food groups into one easy meal is with stuffed peppers. These are perfect to make for 1, 2, or an entire family and a great way to use up any peppers you have had in the fridge for just a little too long!
In this recipe, I was cooking for 2 and used ground bison, brown texmati rice, 1 part-skim mozzarella stick for cheese, and Mrs. Dash Italian Medley seasoning. The yellow & red peppers were big enough that they were 1 balanced serving each and a bonus leftover pepper was for lunch the next day!
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil ~ 2 tablespoons
- Lean Meat of Choice – ground bison, ground turkey, ground chicken, 93-96% lean ground beef
- A serving size of meat should be 3-4 ounces — multiply that by the number of peppers you’re using.
- “Good Carb” of Choice – Quinoa, Farro, Brown Rice, Basmati Rice, Bulgur
- 1 serving size per person cooking for – differs by item chosen
- Chopped Garlic – to taste
- Salt-free seasoning such as Mrs. Dash
- Pepper to taste
- Low fat shredded cheese of choice
- 1/3 cup shredded cheese is 1 serving, Use 1/3 for each pepper/person cooking for
- Peppers – opt for ‘male’ peppers that have 4 bumps at the bottom so they stand nicely
- Depending on the size of your peppers and the number of people you’re feeding you can easily determine quantity. A nice large pepper can be 1 serving, but for smaller peppers you might need to double your counts. Use your judgement on sizing.
- Pre-heat oven to 375°
- Heat EVOO in fry pan over medium-high heat, Add lean meat & cook through
- In a small sauce pan, cook carb of choice according to directions (refered to as rice from here-on)
- While those are cooking, cut tops off peppers & de-seed
- When meat is almost cooked, add chopped garlic.
- Add cooked rice to meat pan & stir. Add cheese & salt-free seasonings of choice & stir
- Add stuffing mixture to peppers
- Cover with tented tin foil
- Cook in oven for 30 minutes
Enjoy your Stuffed Peppers!!