One of my newfound favorite things to eat is scallops. As a kid, and even in my early twenties I was never a huge seafood fan other than mild white fish. My mom would make cod fish with a mango pepper salsa in the summertime and one night she got some scallops to go with it. From then on, I was hooked. I always keep an eye for when they are on special at my local grocery stores. For this recipe I scored a great deal at Stew Leonard’s – only $12.99 a pound for jumbo, fresh Massachusetts caught scallops!
I also love shopping locally and at Farmer’s Markets in the summer. Not only do you get fresh ingredients you can also get exposed to different vegetables you might not encounter or try otherwise. I visited a local farm stand and purchased garlic scapes, pea shoots, and fresh kale. So I figured why not use them for dinner?
This recipe serves 2 and is ready in 30 minutes or less!
- 2 garlic scapes, diced
- 2 bunches of pea shoots
- 1 bunch of fresh kale
- 16-20 sea scallops
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Salt or Pepper to Taste
- Rinse the pea shoots & kale thoroughly.
- Add kale to a medium pot and fill to cover kale. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally to ensure all kale is covered & softening. Once boiled, reduce heat to low and vent cover.
- Rinse and remove the muscle from the scallops.
- Heat a fry pan over medium/high heat (7-8) with some EVOO. Add scallops arranged flat side down.
- After 3-4 minutes, flip using a fork. Cook another 2 minutes.
- Simultaneously, in a medium pan, heat EVOO over low/medium heat (4-5) and add diced garlic scapes. After 2 minutes, add pea shoots – I’d do this before the first scallop flip. Stir as needed to ensure no areas crisp!
- Drain kale. Serve with EVOO & minced garlic or butter or plain!
- Arrange pea shoots on plate to make a bed. Top with scallops and side with kale.
- Serve with healthy carb of your choice. Here I used the Minute Brown Rice. It’s one of my favorite sides because it’s so easy and quick to add to the plate!